They received a fantastic response, with over three quarters sharing their views and concerns with, enabling them to put together a detailed picture of the sector’s ability to support young people throughout the duration of Covid-19 – and beyond.
While the survey results demonstrate once again the resilience of the sector in times of adversity, thier concern is that they also foreshadow a sustained period of immense financial strain for the sector. Unless urgent action is taken to ensure the viability of our sector beyond Covid-19, youth work services across the country will be transformed beyond recognition, to the detriment of an entire generation of young people in Scotland.
Key figures to emerge from the survey:
· National voluntary youth work organisations in Scotland are facing an immediate income loss of £20.5m
· 70% of youth work leaders in Scotland believe there will be cuts to services and budgets after Covid-19
· 60% of local authority youth work services face significant digital barriers in connecting with young people
· 92% of youth work organisations have moved their services online
· One in two youth work leaders believe there will be a detrimental impact on young people’s mental health due to lockdown restrictions
You can read the full report here.
We are sharing these findings with permission to the whole school community to inform you all.